Friday, June 20, 2008

The Bridesmaid's Dress: PART 1



READER DISCRETION ADVISED: If you are getting married at the Botanical Gardens on July 19, 2008, do not read this blog entry. All other brides, proceed with caution.

I am a bridesmaid in a wedding in NYC on July 19th. It is the wedding of one of my dearest friends and when I was asked to come to China for this assignment, I knew that I would figure out a way to make sure that I could still be a part of this important event in her life. In the end, it works out quite nicely: J&J offers us one home visit and July is about halfway from when we left and when our families will visit in the fall.


I kept my fingers crossed that I would receive the dress before I left, with enough time to get it altered in the USA. Luck was not on my side, and therefore, Lauren (Aaron's sister) picked up my dress at Vera Wang in NYC and gave it to Aaron to bring to me in China. The 8 foot long dress hung in my Shanghai closet for about 2 weeks, nagging me to get it altered to fit my 5'2" body. (I wonder exactly how tall a woman has to be to fit into a bridesmaids dress and NOT need it shortened...). Anyway, I finally seek advice on where I should get the dress tailored. (simple alterations needed: shorten the straps, shorten the hem, and tuck in, just a little, underneath my arms) I asked an Expat who works at SIRVA, our relocation company, for a suggestion. She (her name is Annelies) suggested a tailor near to her home who she knows very well. I ask her to come to the appointment with me as the tailor does not speak a word of English and she speaks fluent Chinese.


I wont say how much this bridesmaid dress cost, but for those who know, you know its not a little. So, I take my very long, and very not-so-inexpensive dress to the Chinese tailor. Annelies and I meet there on a Sunday afternoon. To set the scene, its about 100 degrees outside, and the humidity is like you are walking behind a bus. The tailor shop is this little room, open to the street (so maybe 110 degrees!), stacked with fabrics (see photo). The fabric piles are arranged to leave two openings where 2 different people sit and sew (like a capital E if you were looking from above). Hanging out by the piles of fabric are locals who chit-chat with the tailors during the afternoon. As I enter, a few thoughts run through my head: a) don't be judgmental Rebecca... this is China... things are different, I'm sure they know what they are doing. b) this dress was probably made in China anyway! c) don't let the dress touch the floor (there wasn't much difference between the sidewalk and the floor of the shop) d) where am I going to change? (Underwear - no bra - is the only thing I can wear under the dress)


In order to change, we had to strongly encourage one of the tailors in the small opening of piles of fabric to move (she was not so happy about this saying, in what I interpreted to be, "I WONT LOOK!." I use all caps because she was talking very loudly, sounding like she was angry, but I've come to learn that that's just how Chinese people talk.) Annelies said something in Chinese which I heard to be, "blah blah blah USA blah blah blah Shanghai." Whatever she said, worked. The lady, not so happy, moved. Then, Annelies took a piece of thin fabric, say 3 ft by 6ft, and held it up between us, telling me, "Ok dear, change." Yep, this was my changing room. It was like when you are little kid at the beach and your mom holds up a towel. Only now, its with 4 Chinese men 3 feet away with just a tiny piece of fabric separating us, and me needing to put my 29 year-old naked, post-pubescent, and very sweaty body, into a very long, black-tie silk dress!

OK. Dress on. Tailor and Annelies talk and poke and tuck the fabric around me (speaking Chinese so I have no idea what they are saying). Pretty normal tailor experience. Except, I must add that I've became a mini-spectacle. I'd say about 5 people have crowded in front of the store (just Chinese walkers-by) to look at me, in this fancy dress, in this room. One person even took a picture of me with their camera phone. (no joke) "haha, look at the funny white girl in the fancy dress!" OK. Pins in. Chalk drawn. Then, tiny fabric held up again. I change out of the dress. We negotiate a price ($10), and I leave thinking, "I hope that works out ok......." Aaron, being the eternal optimist says, "Bec, of course it will work out!" I hope he's right.


(Sara: if you've gone against my advice and decided to read this blog anyway, dont worry!! The dress will be fine!!)

No comments: